Beauty House Designer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beauty House Designer forum,talk about how to make your house more beautiful and share tips

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 10 super cute ways to wear leggings
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:28 pm by Administrator

» 10 summer dresses as the celebration is longing discern you amongst the heat
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:28 pm by Administrator

» 10 stylish tankinis namely ambition acquaint your summer wonder

» 10 mid length bridesmaid dresses below 100 dollar
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 pm by Administrator

» 10 maxi dresses below $100
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm by Administrator

» acquaint a splash this summer with these girly geek swimsuits
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm by Administrator

» nine lightweight slip dresses for summer

» eight ways apt increase color apt your summer wardrobe
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:25 pm by Administrator

» eight summer dresses you should own this season
How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:25 pm by Administrator

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Beauty House Designer on your social bookmarking website
Most Viewed Topics
2013 female babydoll & chemise,bra & bikini sets special offers in sexytrains.com
How To Wallpaper with Sheet Music
How To Use Pleater Tape to Make Draperies
How To Select Accessories for your Victorian Style Home
How To Decorate a Large Wall with Picture Frames
How To Select Accessories for Your Minimalist Style Home
How To Stencil Furniture
How To Tile Your Whole Bathroom
How to Decorate a Living Room End Table
How To Stencil Concrete

How To Restore Antique Mirrors

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Admin

How To Restore Antique Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: How To Restore Antique Mirrors   How To Restore Antique Mirrors I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Mirrors are a great way to decorate one’s home, and are also functional pieces of home furnishings. Some mirrors simply give your reflection. Some mirrors, especially antique ones, are often family heirlooms that are usually passed on from generation to generation. These will usually tell of history and experience. Antique mirrors often appeal to people, particularly with their enticing and intriguing design. In order to keep that enticing quality you must learn how to restore your antique mirror.

1. Clean the glass. The first step in restoring an antique mirror is cleaning. Wash the glass thoroughly with warm soap and water. You can also use industrial-grade glass cleaner if the glass is stained. This will sometimes be enough to bring the mirror back to a pristine state. However, should simple cleaning be inadequate, you can restore the mirror with a little paint refresh.

2. Repaint the frame. The frame defines the entire form of your antique mirror. Repainting the frame will help restore the mirror’s appearance. Before doing any sanding or finishing, be sure to tape off the glass with masking tape and some old newspaper. Before painting, you will need to sand off the existing paint or varnish. Use rough-grit sandpaper for the first sanding, and fine-grit sandpaper for final sanding, and to sand difficult-to-reach spots.
For the first layer use a primer on the frame and let dry. Then, spray a new layer of paint on the second layer. Make sure to use the proper type of paint or finish, which will depend on the original finish of material your frame is made of.

3. Re-silver the mirror. Re-silvering is the process of replacing the reflective material behind the mirror’s glass. For antique mirrors it would be best to hire a professional to do a re-silvering job for you. Otherwise you can also purchase a re-silvering kit at a home improvement or hardware store, if you are fond of do-it-yourself work.

4. Replace the mirror. If re-silvering proves to be expensive or too difficult, you can simply restore the frame and just replace the mirror. As long as the frame is maintained, then you can maintain the value of the antique mirror.

When restoring woodwork, make sure you wear the proper safety gear, especially if you’re using finishes like varnish and paints. Wear a face mask and goggles to prevent irritation and inhalation of the paint fumes. Make sure you are working outdoors or in an adequately-ventilated area. You will also need to take extra care when handling glass, as broken shards can cause serious injury.

Antique mirrors are often treated as family heirlooms, which are passed on from generation to generation. The value of antiques usually lies in the state of repair of the item. Give your mirror a refreshing restoration job, to enhance its value and prolong its life. This will make the antique mirror an even more valuable piece of furniture, which will go well with any house or living space. You can also restore antique mirrors for extra income, like if you are selling or auctioning antique materials.
Back to top Go down
https://designer.iftopic.com

How To Restore Antique Mirrors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Beauty House Designer :: General :: Design & Decorating-
Jump to: